A damp and wet basement is a bigger health hazard than most people realize. You might not think much of the humidity in the air or the musty smell, but those are warning signs. When nothing is done, there will be damage to the walls, floor, foundation, and property in there. There is even more danger from the mold and mildew growth.
If your family keeps breathing in the mold spores, they shall develop respiratory issues, headaches, allergic reactions, asthma, and even cancer. If you do not see anything strange in the basement, do not convince yourself it is safe, as long as it is damp. You get to be sure only after hiring a professional mold inspection and removal service.
Signs of mold you can see are a green, brown, gray, or white splotches on the surfaces and items in the basement. You can also tell when you detect a musty odor, water damage signs like water stains or peeling wallpapers, water leaks from pipes or the outside, recent flooding in the basement, and an increase in symptoms like coughing, sneezing, and headaches after being in the basement. This is why you need to call in the experts to do the testing. A test shall let you know what to do next. It is better not to find any than to ignore the problem.
Mold testing shall not only look for their presence, but it shall also determine how extensive their spread is the regions it is thriving the most, and the type of mold present. They will look all over the house and take amples They will also take samples of the air for detection of spores. Collection of air samples happens in all the rooms. They shall take all samples to the lab for analysis. You shall get a comprehensive report of what you are dealing with after a while.
Should they detect the presence of mold, they shall proceed to offer the mold removal services. They shall do so quickly, before the mold spreads any further. They shall first of all seal off all contaminated areas. They will then spray the visible mold, vacuum it up, apply antimicrobial and antifungal agents on the surfaces, and purify the air. If they find items that are too contaminated, they will have to get rid of them.
There is a need for the mold in there to be removed as soon as possible. You also need to make sure you put preventative measures in place, to avoid another growth. This calls for ensuring the basement is moisture free, and the house is well ventilated. If you see any signs of mold in there, call in the professionals. This is how you preserve your health and keep the property in good shape.